What is it that makes a wedding ceremony so special? Maybe it’s the song that is played while the bride walks down the aisle, or maybe it’s the music during the wedding ceremony. Perhaps it’s the candles that are lit or the large bows that are tied to the ends of the pews. With the bride’s dress and the flowers that she holds in her hand, these are all attributes to what makes a wedding special.
Or maybe, just maybe it’s the actual words themselves that are said between the bride and the groom. Those vows that are said to each other are the most sacred words one person can say to another. Promising to love, honor and cherish each other of the rest of their lives.
One of the best vows that was said during a wedding ceremony was one that said that you should never settle. Don’t ever marry the person that you can live with. Marry the person that you cannot live without. Those are words of true love and passion and the need to have that person in their life.
Wedding vows can be standard words that are picked by the preacher for the bride and groom to repeat, such as those everyone has heard a million times, or they can be words written by the bride and groom themselves and spoken to each other.
Here are several ideas for wedding vows that one can say to another that truly come from the heart:
- I promise to love you.
- I promise to care for you.
- I will try in every way to be worthy of your love.
- I promise to be a loyal and true friend to you.
- I promise to always be honest with you.
- I promise I will always be kind, patient and forgiving.
- I will respect you and encourage you.
- You are my lover, and you are my teacher.
- I will love you, hold you and honor you in sickness and in health.
- I promise to be your partner in parenthood.
- I promise to be your ally during times of conflict.
- I promise above all else to live in truth with you.
- I promise to communicate with you fully and without fear.
- I pledge my love to you, and my devotion, my faith and my honor.
- You are the magic of my days.
- You provide a safe haven for me, like I’ve never known.
- On this day, I give my heart to you.
- I promise to walk hand-in-hand with you, no matter where this journey may lead us.
- I promise to make our family’s love and happiness my priority.
- I promise to be yours in sickness and in health and in failure and in triumph.
- You are my love, you are my life, today and always.
No matter what vows are said and no matter if they were written by the minister or judge, or by the bride and groom, what matters most is that they are said from the heart, and they are felt wholeheartedly as a promise to be cherished and kept.